SAINT CLEMENT PARISH HISTORY
In 1905, Adam J. Kasper requested Archbishop Quigley create a new parish in Lincoln Park, primarily for German residents. Archbishop Quigley granted the request and appointed Father Francis A. Rempe the pastor. The first Mass was held on August 6, 1905 in Alcott School Hall.
Groundbreaking for the combined church and school took place on October 18, 1905. The first floor church was completed in time for the Christmas celebration in 1905. The building, with an addition, serves as Saint Clement School today.
The cornerstone for a permanent church and rectory was laid on September 9, 1917. The church was erected in eighteen months. The adjoining rectory was completed the following year. The initial interior included 95 art windows and 14 mosaics of saints. However, the interior was not completed until 1930 because of the need for school expansion.
In the 1980s, the church building and appurtenances underwent extensive restoration and renovation. The original beauty of the interior was restored and the worship environment was renovated in light of the theology of Eucharistic communion that had been proclaimed by the Second Vatican Council. In addition, the new Casavant Freres organ was installed.
Today, Saint Clement Church is an anchor of hope in the midst of a great city. The ministries of the people, who are the church, continue to reach out to benefit the neighborhood, the city and the world.